Sofia Ring Mall
Sofia South Ring Mall EAD
Period of implementation
September 2011 – November 2014
Glavbolgarstroy’s role in the project
Nature of works
Design, Architectural and Construction Works, Installation Works on ‘Turn-key’ basis
- Sofia Ring Mall is a next generation shopping center which would contribute to transformation of the retail sector in the country.
- The concept focuses on the entertainment and leisure spaces. It is realized thanks to factors such as the architecture of the complex and its location between the mountains and the city. There is no other shopping center in the country that offers its visitors such large open spaces, wide balconies with mountain views, plenty of natural light inside and lawns extending over 28,000 sq. m. Visitors could combine shopping and attractions in the mall with a walk to Vitosha mountain because of the proximity to the ski lift.
- With the opening of ‘Sofia Ring Mall’, the largest indoor amusement center in the country – FUNTASY Ring Park opened its doors on 6000 sq.m. full of fun for children of all ages as well as the largest indoor karting track located on 7,500 sq. m.
- The design of Sofia Ring Mall is a classic one with an internal passage with entirely glazed ceiling and outstanding entrances. The designers have managed to reduce visually the enormous building through specifying smaller volumes with individual entrances. The facades are designed with stone cladding and aluminum composite panels as finishing materials. The restaurants facing south are designed to have natural lighting. The area of the plot is 64,500 square meters; The total built-up area is approximately 175,000 square meters, the commercial area is 69,000 square meters, car parks for visitors with a total area of 63,000 square meters and a total of 1,775 parking spaces.
- The shopping complex ‘Sofia Ring Mall’ is a part of a comprehensive project for the development of the area between the ring road and the lift station Simeonovo. According to the urban concept the project area (approximately 280 acres) is divided into four areas: commercial, mixed, park and residential. The location of the shopping area close to the main roads provides convenient road access to the underground parking as well as a natural barrier to noise from the ring road of the city. Great displacement of the terrain naturally exalts the functional separation of the complex – the main car and truck approaches are from the Ring Road whereas the pedestrian spaces with the spacious restaurants terraces and cafes are facing Vitosha mountain and IKEA.